DAPL Protesters React to Judge's Postponement Decision

Published 08/24 2016 10:48PM

Updated 08/24 2016 10:48PM

Following a hearing in D.C., protesters in Standing Rock must wait another two weeks before they have answers, but they're not giving up the fight.
 
Sacred Stone camp protesters don't plan to stop after a disappointing indecision in Washington.  
 
Thousands patiently waited for the decision - to be met with none after one phone call. 
 
"We had hoped to have a decision that was supporting the tribes arguments for the injunction. It is disappointing that a decision was not made today," says Dallas Goldtooth, Indigenous Environmental Network. 
 
Wednesday afternoon they got word that a federal judge put off a ruling on the Standing Rock's case against the Army Corps of Engineers. Protesters struggled with the judge's indecision, but plan to stand their ground.
 
"We're gonna stay here until they come to a decision and if we have to take action we'll do everything that we can," says Lori Bobtail Bear, a protester from Standing Rock.
 
Inyan Sapa is from a reservation in South Dakota. 
 
"I might be sending my family home and I'll be staying here to carry this prayer," he says.
 
The Standing Rock tribe and allies are challenging the Army Corps of Engineers' decision to permit the Dakota Access pipeline. The $3.8 billion project that would run underneath the Missouri river adjacent to their land. Today's legal action puts the tribe in a state of limbo.
 
"We can't drink oil and we can't drink money. So this is about my grandson who I brought with me today," says Inyan Sapa, South Dakota. 
 
Construction was voluntarily halted by Dakota Access workers early this month. The wait may jeopardize their voluntary halt. 
 
"There's a lot up in the air. We don't know if Dakota Access will hold off on the drilling," says Dallas Goldtooth. 
 
Whatever the decision in September, the camp is not limiting their fight. Their efforts have gone on to involve the United Nations. Standing Rock officials expect UN representatives to join the camp in the next few days. 
 
Whether considered an environmental, human rights or racial justice issue, the residents here say they will go back to the drawing board and continue to take spiritual and legal action.
 
"With folks here people are committed to the long haul in this camp - to be here until this pipeline gets stopped." 
 
U.S. District Judge James Boasberg says he will rule on the case by Friday, Sept. 9. For either party, the option to appeal will be September 14. 

Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.